Orange Chicken Kabobs with Navel Orange Salsa2016-04-06
Squeeze Hale Grove oranges for the juice for the marinade in this recipe.
Prep: 30 minutes
Marinate time: 30 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice, divided (1 lime)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon finely chopped and seeded fresh jalapeño, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
1 Hale Navel Orange, cut into 8 (11/2-inch pieces) *
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
1 small yellow red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small purple onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
Navel Orange Salsa
1 cup diced fresh oranges (about 11/2 Hale Navel oranges)
1 teaspoon finely chopped purple onion
1 teaspoon finely chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
1. Preheat grill to 350º to 400º (medium-high) heat.
2. For the marinade, whisk together orange juice, olive oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño, orange zest, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour half orange juice mixture into a shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chicken, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and let stand 30 minutes. Pour remaining orange juice mixture into another shallow dish or freezer bag; add oranges, bell peppers and onion, and tossing coat; cover or seal, and let stand 20 minutes.
3. For the Navel Orange Salsa, in a small bowl combine 1 cup diced oranges, remaining jalapeño, 1 teaspoon purple onion, 1 teaspoon bell pepper, cilantro and remaining lime juice, tossing to coat. Refrigerate or set at room temperature until ready to serve.
3. Remove chicken and vegetables from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread chicken, oranges and vegetables alternately onto 8 skewers.
4. Grill kabobs, covered with grill lid, 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove kabobs from grill. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with Navel Orange Salsa.
*Note: Leave the orange peel on the 8 pieces of orange that you are placing on the skewers with the chicken and vegetables.