Black Forest Cake2018-04-11
“A decadent, elegant, flavorful cake that demands an audience” are the words I would like to use when describing the classic Black Forest Cake. It is so rich in taste that it should be served to and enjoyed by all family and friends during Christmas festivities, birthdays and any special occasions.
Black Forest Cake or Black Forest Cherry Torte (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte in German) is a Gateau style chocolate sponge cake frosted with cherry schnapps-flavored whipped cream, chocolate shavings and garnished with cherries on top.
Some say that the Black Forest Cake is named after the Black Forest located in Southwest Germany which is famous for Morello cherries and Kirsch, a double-distilled alcohol made from cherries. Some sources refute the claim and say that it is influenced by the traditional dress attire of women in the Black Forest region. But no matter what the history books say, Black Forest Cake is a cake that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hr 40 mins
Yields: 12 servings
2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 175 ºC (350 ºF). Grease and line two 9-inches round, cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl, sift together the flour, 2 cups of sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and a tablespoon of vanilla extract; beat until completely mixed. Divide the batter equally and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake cake for 30-45 mins or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in their pans for 10 mins before inverting on a cooling rack.
- Drain cherries and reserve ½ cup of juice. Mix reserved juice, cherries, corn starch and 1 cup sugar in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat while stirring constantly until thickened. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Cool before using.
- Chill a medium sized mixing bowl for 15 minutes and mix whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar in the chilled bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for at least 15 min or until stiff peak form.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake layer horizontally in half and trim off any hard crusts. Tear one split layer into crumbs and set to the side. Apportion 1 ½ cups frosting for decorating the cake. To assemble the cake, put one cake layer on a serving plate and spread with 1 cup of frosting then top with ¾ cup cherries and top with another layer of cake and repeat process until you get three layers. Frost the side and top of the cake with remaining frosting while reserving some for piping. Pat reserved crumbs on the frosting on the side of cake. Using the remaining frosting, pipe around the top of the cake and place a cherry over each slice of cake.