Bing Cherry Cobbler2017-06-09
There are so many things to love about summertime, and seasonal fruits such as fresh cherries are just one of them. Cherry cobbler is easier and faster to prepare than cherry pie, and there is no better way to end a summertime meal than with the fresh, warm cherry juices that bubble up into the pastry. Cobblers have a biscuit-like topping over fresh fruit and are incredibly tasty served with or without vanilla ice cream. Prepare a large dish of cobbler, or make it in individual ramekins for entertaining.
You can’t go wrong when you use our large, long-stemmed cherries. Grown in the rarefied air of a few high-altitude orchards in Washington State, the clear starry nights and cold mountain snowmelt produce sweeter, crisper, more delicious cherries than any you’ve ever tasted. We select only the top few percent that meet Hale’s stringent standards for quality. This will be the best cobbler you’ve ever tried.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the filling:
5 cups pitted fresh Bing cherries (about 3 lb. unpitted)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
11/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. For individual servings, place six lightly greased 1-cup ramekins or custard cups on a baking sheet. For a large cobbler, lightly grease an 8-x 8-inch baking dish.
- To make the filling, in a large bowl, stir together cherries, sugar and lemon juice until combined. Divide the fruit evenly among the ramekins, or pour into prepared baking dish. Bake fruit 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Use a fork to stir in egg. Continue stirring until egg is incorporated into dry ingredients and it’s a crumbly mixture.
- Crumble mixture over cherry filling. Drizzle melted butter evenly over top of cherry filling and crumbled mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and cherry filling is bubbling. Remove from oven, and keep warm until ready to serve.